Another weekend come and gone

Another weekend gone without anything significant being accomplished. The Christmas decorations are put away, the house is clean, but that's the majority of the accomplishment.

I often read and hear of people and the great feats they accomplish... and wonder how they spend their weekends. In order to accomplish great things in life, what's required? Some people are wealthy and get to enjoy wonderful things simply because they are the heir of someone else that has accomplished much. For instance, Paris Hilton, who herself contributes absolutely nothing terribly meaningful to society or the world, but has experiences to be envied. What bothers me though, is rather than using the money and her position in society to do something useful and meaningful, it is instead squandered on high fashion and parties. She views animals as accessories and traded in her dog for a smaller one. How sick can you get? I know this is old news, but really the thought process started with pondering what would I do if I had more... more time, more money, more influence... There are so many things left in this world that I want to see and experience...

What would you do if you had... more.

3 comments:

Barbara said...

I guess I figure if I always had more I wouldn't have those debts... college loans, credit card debts, house, etc...

At least not with my current house, since it was relatively inexpensive given I live in ND as opposed to CA ;)

Actually our college loans are all paid off too. Paul's were finished off about 2 years ago I believe, and when I went back to school we just paid out of pocket. However, we do have a bit of credit card debt remaining, and of course the house and cars...

The charities I'd be most likely to give large amounts to would be the Susan G Komen Breast Cancer Foundation, battered women's shelters, Make A Wish Foundation, and the Humane Society (that's where we got our Blackie puppy).

So places I want to see and things I want to do:
Egypt
Italy
Greece
France
Sweden
China

I'd also like to go back to:
Norway
Denmark
Philippines
Japan

I'd also like to be able to go back to Iceland on a yearly basis...

Things I'd like to do:
have time to paint
stand in the middle of the colloseum
walk along the Great Wall
meet Nick Bantock
build my dream house
move back to the Northeast
among other things

Barbara said...

I know what you mean, my hubby is planning on going back to get his masters eventually. So they'll start accumulating for us again too.

The Northeast is just one of the places I've lived previously and really enjoyed.

There is a market in Seoul where I had the best strawberries I've ever eaten in my life... It's funny because I'm not a huge fan of strawberries any longer, because none seem to ever live up to those. They all seem so hard, and under ripe...

Barbara said...

We went there for a week when we lived in the Philippines. Strawberries in the states are picked before they are ripe and then reddened by gassing... And people wonder why I don't care for strawberries...

I don't think you are looking in the wrong places. It seems like they are pretty hard to find. Seeded grapes in general are harder to find.